Who let the dogs in? (woof, woof, woof)
We did! We had a visit from three friendly certified therapy dogs from the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society. Marsha Robbins and Amy Coglio shared their dogs so that we could practice dog safety rules provided by the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society. They shared a list of 10 safety rules to use with children:
1. Always ask before you touch a dog.
2. Let the dog sniff the back of your hand before you touch him.
3. Touch the dog gently on his back with the palm of your hand.
4. Never touch a dog when he is eating food or chewing a bone.
5. If you give a dog a treat, hold your hand flat like a plate. Let him take the treat from your palm.
6. If you see a dog without his owner, leave him alone.
7. Never run and scream when you are playing with a dog.
8. If a dog comes up to you – be a tree.
9. If you fall down – be a log.
10. Don’t put your face in a dog’s face.