As May turns to June and another school year comes to a close, public libraries are preparing for the busiest season of the year. The annual Summer Reading program fills Pittsburgh libraries with readers tracking books to win prizes and participating in extra-special library activities. As we prepare to launch another awesome summer of reading, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh kicks off the fun by hosting a giant outdoor festival at CLP- Main in Oakland.
This year’s 15th Annual Summer Reading Extravaganza will take place on Sunday, June 7th from 12-5 PM. Kids, teens and adults can enjoy this super outdoor festival with music, crafts, games and… books!
Here’s a sample of some of the great things you can do at this year’s Extravaganza:
- Sign up for Summer Reading and get your materials that day
- Enjoy live performances, interactive storytimes and puppet shows
- Rock out with The Labs and play fun CLP Readers Games
- Learn about the exciting things you can do all over town this summer with Pittsburgh City of Learning
- Browse the annual book sale
- Try your hand at science experiments
- Personalize a Smiley Cookie with Eat ‘n Park
- Support your Library by purchasing food from the featured food trucks
- Try your hand at gardening, cooking, robots, learning a new language and so much more!
Extravaganza is held rain or shine and no registration is required. Don’t miss one of Pittsburgh’s best family festivals of the year. Join us on Sunday, June 7th and help us kick off an awesome summer of learning.
-Maggie, CLP- Carrick